Saturday, March 8, 2008

We're Home...finally



We made it back to the house around 2:00AM Friday morning after a long, long day of travel. We only had one connecting flight,but we lost two hours coming home through time zones. Luckily I had my trusty iPod and sudoku book handy.


Our first flight from Missoula to Minneapolis went on without a hitch, no turbulence, no delays, no annoying children screaming and kicking seats (like on the way to MT)...


Our second flight from Minneapolis into Atlanta was a lot different. Actually, nothing was the same except the part about the children.


Things not so wonderful:


1. The check-in people in Missoula told us that we would all be sitting in the back of the plane on the way from Minneapolis to Atlanta, but she said that the flight wasn't full so we could probably get some better seats once we got to the gate in Minneapolis. The first thing we do straight from the arrival gate was go to our departure gate. This is what we got, " I'm sorry but the flight is booked, they must have filled the flight before you arrived." Ok, there must be a lot of people in Minnesota that need to get to atlanta to fill a flight in 2 hours. Needless to say, we sat in the very last row. For those of you out there that have never flown, try to get seats as close to the front as possible. The noise coming from the engines in the rear of the plane is TREMENDOUS. I had never been in the back before this trip, but it was so loud that even with my iPod volume all the way up I had a hard time hearing the music. OH, and forget about understanding what the flight attendants say over the speaker...ha. I think it would be wise to purchase some of those Bose sound cancelling headphones. I understand those things are "the" thing to have when you fly....anyone know?


2. They began boarding the flight 30 minutes before departure time and it's a good thing because it probably took 35-45 to get everyone seated. When I say the plane was full, there were NO seats available, not even a flight attendant's seat. Some of the people who had carry on luggage had to put their stuff in the overhead bins two or three rows back from their seats.


3. Once everyone was on board, they closed the hatch and off we went...yep about 50 feet from the gate and stopped. Who knows what's wrong...no one tells us. We sit there for another 20 minutes or more after the mandated safty procedure review was finished. Whatever was wrong was fixed or completed and off to the runway.


4. What a take off! It was so loud (again with the engine noise, I know that's redundant, but I'm still so shocked) that I thought the plane was about to explode and my life was over. It was jiggling and popping and rumbling and noise. Again, no more back seats.


5. We must have had some good tailwinds because we landed in Atlanta only 20 minutes or so late. I was thrilled that we were making such good time. I remember thinking that we would make it back home by midnight if the shuttle was there...


We taxied to the gate as the captain comes over the speaker and gives his customary lines about the time and temperature, ending with, "...and welcome to Atanta." I'm so glad we're about to get off this plane, I don't care where we are. And then we stop. Dead HALT. What's going on? Again...who knows, no one tells us, but 10 minutes after we stop the main jets turn off that means no more AC. (my thought: WHAT?! TURN IT BACK ON! TURN IT BACK ON! ARE YOU CRAZY! WE'RE DRESSED FOR MONTANA NOT ATLANTA! I'M BURNING UP.) After a few minutes of stuffy, hot, non-circulated air they turned the generator on, or something, and there it comes. (Ahhh...Thank you!)


6. After the drama of no AC, we sit another few minutes and the captain comes over the speaker and he says that, apparently, two Northwest flights came in at the same time and since the late hour, the airline is short staffed for two planes at once. Therefore, no one can bring the jetway over for another few minutes. He's says he's sorry for the delay and ends his spill of not so great news with, "Thank you for your patience; Welcome to Atlanta." Um....why the tagline? Just curious...didn't he already say that? I'm sure he's as aggrevated as we are, but is that something has MUST say, like "Roger...over and out?" :)



7. They bring the jetway, we wait until everyone exits to get off the plane (obviously because we are in the back row) and walk on into the airport. We go to the restroom and then to baggage claim. We find our carousel and wait. And wait. And wait. By midnight we get our luggage and hightail it out to the shuttle parking. He walked around the corner to the crosswalk right in front of our shuttle pulling out of the parking area. He was nice enough to wait and let us board, but he didn't have to do that. It's actually not allowed, but I suppose he did it because there wasn't as much traffic as regular hours. (Whew...!) We would have been able to catch the next one, but who knows how long we would have had to wait for it.


We got to the park and ride place by 12:15AM, said our goodbyes to Brian's parents and hit the road. We got home in record time because it was so early in the morning. I told Brian when we got in the car that I wasn't unpacking until the next day, but I did anyway. It only took about 15 mintes to unload it all and sort all the laundry. I know I could have waited, but it was one less thing to do Friday night when I could be playing with Helen instead!



Speaking of Helen, she grew and got cuter in a week. I was at work on Friday, so Moma, Tom, and Brian brought her over to see me. I couldn't wait until the evening to see her. When she saw me, she walked into my arms and held me and rested her sweet little head on my shoulder. Without her saying a word, I knew she loved me and remembered me. I didn't cry but I really really enjoyed that hug. They took me to lunch and then took me back to work. Brian told me later that as they were pulling away from the office, Helen cried. I'm glad I didn't know that.


She was clingy all night, especially at bedtime. I put her to bed as I usually do, but she cried and cried for me to come back in to get her. She normally goes right down without a problem, but I think it was because she missed me and didn't want me to leave again. I assured her I wasn't leaving....but that didn't work. I was there when she woke this morning and got the biggest smile. :D



We may have had a long and rocky trip home, but the welcome was great. I missed Helen more than I thought I did and I'm glad to be home. I'm glad to be in MY home, with MY pillow, and MY bed, and MY dog to keep me warm as I sleep. Thank the Lord for allowing us to arrive safely, despite the inconvenience. Thank you all for sending up prayers on our behalf.


I'll be catching up on my blog reading this week. I will get around to reading your blogs soon. I enjoy them all so much!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad y'all got home safely!

Kim said...

I am so glad you are home safe and sound. FYI Lori is engaged!!!!!!

Nancy Hood said...

Me, too! I'm thankful you're home safe and sound!! You've been so great about keeping us all posted through your blogs! Don't you just love this blogging business?! Get some rest and enjoy the southern 'crazy' weather we're having! ha ha

Crystal said...

I'm glad you guys had a safe and fun trip.

Chad said...

So glad you guys made it home safely. BTW I didn't know Brian was an Alabama fan. I see it on his hat. Give him a big Roll Tide for me and you guys will have to come over and go with us tailgating and to a game sometime. We have a blast.

Haley said...

I am so glad you guys made it home safley! I hear that you guys are coming to P'ville easter sunday! YAY! We are coming home from Lads to Leaders early enough to come to Church and see you guys! I get to see Helen....whoop whoop! Hurray!

Haley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.