Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Holy Dog Leash Batman!

To continue with our story....


For my birthday last year, I begged Brian to get Brodie the Invisible Fence collars so that we could let him out and he wouldn't be all over the neighborhood. He's always been a very affectionate dog (the dachsund in him) but he's also been very territorial (the russell in him) so it doesn't take a whole lot to get him to bark or to run after a little kid on a bicycle. He doesn't bark because he wants to bite the kid, he barks and chases them because he's playful and they passed through his line of sight!


So bless his bones when we got the shock collar last year. He hates it, but it does the trick. Now he gets to bark, but he knows better than to go after something too far away from the house because he'll get a good jolt.


The collar is battery operated and last month the battery died and instead of running out to the local pet store and buy another one, we took our time because he's so good for us without it.


Well, about a month ago, he and Helen and I were out on the driveway playing when Brian came home from work. Helen ran up to greet him so I ran after her to keep her from getting in front of the car. Brodie was excited Brian was home, as usual, but I didn't worry about him because he knows the car would squish him dead. I kept my eye on Helen until Brian was in the garage.


All of a sudden, Brian's engine still running in my ear and the wind just blowing full, I hear a voice from up the hill:





This is our neighbor's house. She was standing at the top of this hill just off of her driveway yelling at the top of her lungs, "YOU NEED TO PUT A LEASH ON THAT DOG!"


I look up and see Brodie trotting back to our house and I thought I heard something else. I grab hold of Brodie and put my hand to my hear and say "What, I'm sorry I didn't hear that, what did you say?"


She exclaims, again yelling, "YOUR DOG CAME OVER TO MY PROPERTY, ON MY DRIVEWAY, AND ATTACKED ME AND MY DOG."


So here I am, in a sort of shock, with a head cold, Brian's engine still in my ear, and she she's yelling at me from over 50 yards away and I still think I hear her speaking to me. So again, I put my hand to my ear and say, "I'm sorry, what was that last thing, I'm having a hard time hearing you."


She says, "YOU KNOW WHAT, I CAN'T HEAR YOU EITHER!!!!!! YOU JUST PUT A LEASH ON THAT DOG!" And she storms off.


Since he didn't have his collar on, he made it up to her house and "attacked" her. I'm floored and flustered, to say the least. I go inside and cool my emotions down and about 30 minutes later, we look outside and there in her driveway is the county Animal Control!!!!


WHA?!?!?!


Ok, Brian and I are country folk. On our side of the world, we usually just go complain to the neighbor that has a pesky animal or we just deal with it. Why? Because animals are just that....animals.


Well, apparently, she aint kuntry folk.


After her 30 minute complaint to the county, he drives into our driveway and Brian goes out to speak with him....



To be continued later today....





tealesdigidesigns@gmail.com