Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Holy Dog Leash Batman - Part Deux

....Brian speaks to the animal control officer and comes back in moments later explaining to me that we have to go to court. He grabs is ID and heads back out.

We were issued 3 citations....yep three....for violations to animal control laws. The neighbor claimed the Brodie came onto her property, unprovoked, and barked at her (and her dog) showing his teeth with the hair on his neck raised! The AC officer said that on first offences they normally just issue a warning, but that the neighbor insisted on pressing charges. She wanted him to issue a "vicious dog" citation, but he didn't becuase that would have meant harsher penalty. If he'd issued that citation he would have had to take Brodie away. Thank you for not doing that. He isn't vicious in any way.

Side note: Our property line is only seperated from her driveway by about 20-30 feet. The line is a good distance from our house, but the line is very close to hers.

She said that Brodie has been on her property on at least two other occasions and that this was the only time he "attacked."

I decided before the county came that I was going to suck it up and give her the benefit of the doubt that she was genuinely scared of Brodie. I had decided to write her a nice note and take even take her some fun baked goodies to help smooth it all over in hopes that we could actually be cordial neighbors.

After the county came, however, and said that Brian could possibly be given PROBATION because of Brodie, I rethought my decision. I didn't want to give her any reason to accuse us of something we didn't do. I didn't want to jeopardize Brian's legal status at all.

We were both very upset about this. We are Christians and don't want to do anything to endanger or hurt any of our neighbors. Especially not with our sweet dog. He's a good dog--A little high spirited, but a really good dog.

We had to wait until June 3rd to go to court. (Some counties let you just pay the citations and go on about your life....not so in our county) We consulted lawyers and friends we have in other county animal control offices to prepare ourselves for what could happen in court.

The day of court arrives. I have arranged babysitting for Helen so I can go with Brian to court. I walk into this room and I am expecting Judge Judy's courtroom. You know, a judge's bench with two podiums for the plantiff and defendant and a bailiff, and of course, some bench seating for the people foregoing cases. HA! Double HA! There were a few tables set up, a bigger desk for the judge (there was a bailiff), one podium, and only about 15 chairs for the people who are in queue. Not to mention that the room is about the size of a small office area! I am informed that unless I am on the citations, then I need to leave because there isn't enough room for me in the "courtroom."

I'm thrilled not to have to wait. So I head out and go pick up Helen.

Five hours later, Brian calls me to say that his "trial" is over and he's on his way to work. Apparently, after I left, not only did the 15 chairs in the room fill up, the hallway outside the room filled up with people waiting on their case to be called as well. Did they set up chairs for them, you ask? NOPE. They are all sitting in the floor! I would hate to know how long those people had to wait. Brian waited until 2:00PM. Did their cases even get heard?

Brian said that when his case was called he got up as did the lady sitting next to him the whole day. How hilarious is it that our neighbor, whom we've never seen up close, sat next to him all day long and he didn't even know it was her! Brian pleaded "no contest," so she sat there all day too and didn't even get to say a word. He paid the fine and off he went. The fine was so small that it cost him more to sit there than it did to pay it. He wasn't thrilled, but I'm glad it's over.

We're going over to talk to her this week. We want to get to know her and let her and her family know that we are not here to harm or hurt her in anyway....That if something we are doing is unacceptable, a simple phone call or knock on the door would be sufficient. We are friends with all of our surrounding neighbors, except her. Christians can forgive wrong-doing and we hope that she can forgive us for this simple little issue, especially if she really was scared.

So our little convict was saved from the mean ole dog pound by the gentle nature of our county AC officer! We are glad that Brian didn't have to go to jail too, nor be placed on probation! Can you believe that is even an option for somone who's dog barks at another person!? What is this world coming to!?

BTW, Brian told me that there was this one case who's pit bull got into someone's house and killed their cat and distroyed some of their things. Now THAT is something to complain about!

Thanks for reading....I know it was long



tealesdigidesigns@gmail.com

10 comments:

Unknown said...

That whole situation is so bizzare-o...you would think that people have better things to do than to complain about a lap dog barking at them! So glad everything worked out as well as it did.

Kelly said...

UGHHHHHHHHH

I knew that dog was trouble. So fierce! ;o)

Chad said...

Geez a loo. What is the world coming to? I mean c'mon....

Katie said...

I hate you had to go through all of this but this lady makes me laugh. If it was a pit bull or a dog that would be hard to fight off, I could understand. I am glad that all worked out well!

Anonymous said...

Too funny. I am happy to read that it is all ok now. Good for yall for deciding to make the effort to befriend her.

Nancy Hood said...

The idiosyncrasies of this person are off the wall. Apparently, her life sucks and she wants someone to pay for it~sorry it had to be you and Brian. Don't look for any nice actions from her when you visit. Ask if she's a middle child :) they always blame others! ha ha OH! and let us know how the visit goes!!

Trudy Ingram said...

this is CRAZY. I"m so glad it's over and brian is a free man. i LOKE you!!!!

CL said...

WOW! Sounds stressful!! I can't believe someone would be scared of cute little brodie!! That's so annoying.

You are handling very well though. I'm proud of you!!

Kelly said...

I tagged you - check my blog for details...

Kim said...

I am so glad it is all over with! I hate you and Brian had to be put through that. Thankfully I have good neighbors but a couple are about to move... pray we don't get any crazies!!!