Wednesday, July 9, 2008

.....K

Helen's newest affirmative answer to everything is "K" as opposed to "Yes" or "All Right." She loves saying that and I'm not sure where she picked it up. I mention this because Helen and I have stepped into the crazy unknown of POTTY TRAINING......ew. (And every time I ask, "Helen, do you need to go pee pee in the potty." The answer is ".....K.") Sometimes I wonder if her answer really means OK. But usually she beats me to the bathroom, so I guess it does?

One might say....WHAT? How old is she.......18 months? Well, yes. If she hadn't instigated the whole thing, I wouldn't have started her until closer to 24 months. Maybe it was curiosity that made her say "pee pee potty" a week ago or maybe she really needed to go. Either way, it can't hurt to give it a shot. So, here we are with a munchkin learning to pee pee in the potty. :)

She's doing well thus far; better than I thought she'd do by day two. She has actually tinkled in the potty (3x today), but not without a little coaching. She's learning to feel and use the muscles she needs to to make these connections on her own which at day two is truly amazing to me.

I found these cool items at Potty Training Solutions called PODS that are basically a maxi pad for potty training and are "supposed" to give an easy transition between diaper and being fully potty trained. I'll get back to you about them as we progress. They seem to work, but then again, its DAY TWO! :) A peeve I have with these so far is that they are made to go in "big girl" underwear and well......they don't make underwear for children her size. She's got a tiny waist so with the POD and a tiny waist (and practically no booty) she walks around looking like a plumber all day long. (no offense Rotto Rooter) I've started pinning the sides up so they don't sag, but by three or so hours in the same pair they are stretched out! Poor thing. If anyone can help me find panties smaller than 2T (that don't cost $5 a pair), PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

I haven't gotten frustrated with the frequency of visits to the bathroom like I thought I would. I pray everyday that I'll have the patience I need to get through this stage of development, but I am certain to crack before too long. I try to stay positive, for her sake as well as my own. One of the things I find encourage me the most is reading up on the Quads out in the blogosphere. I know I've mentioned them before, but if you all have not had the pleasure of seeing these wonderful and strong women being moms, read up on them. These are are a few I like to visit to gain strength. Imagine potty training FOUR AT ONCE! (These women make me a believer the in the power of God and the strength of a mother):

Steece's Pieces

Quadville

Burkett Quad Squad

The Murray Crew

Other than this new venture, we are all still doing well and in good health, thank the good Lord for that. VBS is next week, so I am working with that effort. I have enlisted some wonderful people to help me and they have not let me down. Please keep me in your prayers that I don't get too stressed.......I have a tendency to do that.

XOXOXO to all of you!

tealesdigidesigns@gmail.com

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Try some training pants. They are think panties and they do come in sizes that aren't for like 2T, 3T, etc. They have them at Wal-Mart in the baby section. Good luck!

Kelly said...

I meant thick. Any ?'s just email me! Been there and lived to tell about it! :o)

Unknown said...

Good luck with potty training! Noah mentioned it a while back so we went and bought a potty seat. After that he would just sit there for 5 seconds then hop down. Every now and then he'll mention it and we'll take him, but I'm not pushing it with him right now :)

We had a time with Ian...but, I've always heard it's easier with girls than boys.

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck little Helen! She is so much like her mommy!

Kim said...

Helen is such a smart cookie! She will do great! Hailey used her first potty while with Ginger and Clay one afternoon. She was 18months and she was potty trained (officially) by 2.5 :)

You Can Hang In There!!!!

I hope you had a great birthday! Love you!!!